Diamonds have long been associated with love and marriage, and these amazing natural creations are favourites for both engagement and wedding rings, as well as other forms of jewellery. It takes millions of years for a diamond to form. With that in mind, here are a few amazing facts about diamonds that you may not be aware of.
1. The Origins of the Word ‘Diamond’ – As you probably know, diamonds are virtually indestructible, being one of the hardest substances known to man, and the word ‘diamond’ is derived from the Greek word ‘adamas’, which means invincible or indestructible.
2. Special Properties – Many ancient civilisations believed that diamonds have special qualities, such as protecting the wearer against danger, which is why many kings and knights wore diamonds on the battlefield. Relics have been found that include diamonds set into swords and shields, along with writings that confirm this belief.
3. Diamonds Are Formed Deep Under the Ground – Although diamonds are commonly found just under the ground, these amazing stones are formed hundreds of miles below the surface. They are brought closer to the surface thanks to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. After millions or even billions of years of extreme pressure, a diamond is formed.
4. Diamonds Have Only Recently Been Associated with Romance – The famous diamond broker DeBeers launched an advertising campaign in the 1940s that was so successful, it saw the beginning of a trend that is still with us today. The phrase, ‘diamonds are a girl’s best friend’ was their slogan, and ever since that time, diamonds are become linked with love, romance and marriage. There are engagement rings in Brisbane CBD which can be adorned with beautiful pink diamonds for sale, should you be planning to pop the question in the near future.
5. The Largest Diamond Ever Discovered – In 1905, the Cullinan Diamond was unearthed in South Africa, which weighed a staggering 3,106 carats. The huge stone was presented to King Edward, who had the diamond cut into smaller stones, three of which are embedded into the Crown Jewels, while hundreds of small stones were also made from the massive diamond.
6. The Diamond Planet – Scientists believe they have found a planet that is made up almost entirely of diamonds. The planet was discovered in 2005 and it orbits a star in our Milky Way, and is named “55 Cancri e”. Scientists think that as much as 30% of the planet is made from diamonds, which means if you could visit there, you would be able to pick up huge diamonds and put them in your bag to return as the richest person that ever lived!
If you would like to present a diamond engagement ring to your partner, an online search will help you to source a local custom jeweller, and with their help, you can have a unique design made to your specifications. Regardless of the ring design, you simply must include diamonds, which, after all, are a girl’s best friend!
Featured photo from Unsplash